Benefits of Being a long-term Volunteer
Rigdzin Ling is a beautiful Buddhist center located in a remote and serene environment. We offer the following to our long-term volunteers:
- An environment that encourages deep growth and developmen
- A supportive community with other spiritual practitioners
- Teachings, formal and informal, with resident Lamas and visiting Lamas
- Room and board
Guidelines for Long-Term Volunteers
At Rigdzin Ling, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds, regardless of race, age, education, religion and sexual orientation. We are looking for volunteers with the following qualities:
- Genuine interest in living in a Buddhist center
- Dedication to training one’s own mind
- Physically, mentally, and emotionally stable and resilient
- Ability to work well alone and in group settings
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully to others
- Financial stability to sustain personal needs (medical, transportation, bills, debt, etc.)
Note: Please do not apply if you are coping with major unresolved emotional or mental health issues, or have recently quit smoking, using drugs, or begun a recovery program or medication regimen.
Expectations for all Volunteers
In addition to the above guidelines, volunteers are also expected to:
- Work at least 7 hours per day Monday-Friday, and 3.5 hours on Saturday. All staff and volunteers receive time off Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday (except during events).
- Attend daily meditations (puja), special pujas, and help with other rotational tasks such as cleaning, dishwashing, shrine maintenance and lama meal service.
- Work extra hours during events
- Keep personal and community spaces clean to receive guests at any point
- Not bring pets (if you have a service animal, please be sure to contact us ahead of time)
Not smoke, use illegal drugs or overuse alcohol
Here is a typical schedule at Rigdzin Ling:
Monday – Friday
6:30am-7:45pm Morning meditation
7:45am-9:00am Breakfast break
9:00am-12:30pm Work period
12:30pm-2:00pm Lunch break
2:00pm-5:00pm Work period
5:30pm-6:30pm Evening meditation
7:00am – 8:30am Morning meditation
9:30am – 1:00pm Work period
8:00am-9:30am Morning meditation
Note: The above schedule is subject to change and does not apply to events.
Upon submission, the Lama-in-Residence and administrative staff will review your application. If approved you will be contacted and arrangements will be made.
For questions about volunteering or to submit an application:
Chagdud Gonpa Rigdzin Ling
PO Box 279
Junction City, CA 96048